16 January 2009

Obamania!

I know, I know... you liked this story better the first time, when it was called "Firepower." And yes, I am aware that Kansata is a real place in Senegal.

In the past few weeks, I've seen more than one editorial cartoon calling next week's inauguration a "coronation." I think that's pretty silly. But I have to admit, monarchies do make for much better intrigues than democracies. Remember the riveting constitutional crisis which heated up the second act of Air Force One? I rest my case.

D and I also just finished re-watching all of Firefly; I suspect that's the root of the sudden but inevitable betrayal in this week's tale. I would also have killed off a beloved character in whom you had invested a great deal of emotion, but I'd already hit my 512-word limit.

I am hopeful that the next four years in America will be better than the last eight have been. But I'm not unreasonably so. In any case, I don't think Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert need to worry about their job security.



EOF

No comments: